If you are like most people with carpet in their home, there are often spills and spots that happen on your carpet that need to be cleaned. Living in a busy household with pets and kids can leave you cleaning up messes quite often. When cleaning up your carpet messes, it is important that you understand the difference between spots and stains. Palm Springs Carpet Cleaning is here to talk about the difference as well as how to have success when cleaning them up.
Is There a Difference Between Spots & Stains?
When homeowners think about a spot or a stain on their carpet, they more than likely think they are the same thing. However, there is a difference between spots and stains and it’s important to understand how to successfully remove them both.
– Carpet Spot: This happens when a substance changes the texture of your carpet. It could be caused by something like muddy pawprints or spaghetti that is spilled on your carpet. If the texture of the fibers has changes, you are dealing with a spot.
– Carpet Stain: This is a result of discoloration to the carpet fibers that has no change in texture. It usually happens when a spot is left on the surface of the carpet for a long period of time before getting cleaned up.
How Long Before a Carpet Spot Turns into a Stain
If you notice that something has spilled on your carpet and you have a spot, it is important that you work to clean it up right away. If you don’t and the spot is left there to sit, it can easily turn into a stain. In fact, experts will tell you that it only takes about 24 hours for a spot to turn into a stain.
How Do You Remove Stubborn Spots & Stains from Carpet?
It is much easier to remove spots from your carpet than it is a stain. Spots can usually be removed using a clean towel and carpet cleaner to gently blot it away. You should always avoid scrubbing as this can damage the carpet fibers. Removing a stain is much more difficult. Successfully removing it depends on the type of stain you’re dealing with.
– Water Soluble: Some stains can be easily cleaned using nothing but water and a gentle carpet cleaner. This includes mud, chocolate, cola, ice cream as well as other stains similar to them.
– Solvent Soluble: If you have a stain caused by lipstick, crayons, oils and greases, you have to use a solvent cleaner to successfully remove them.
– Non-Soluble: If you have stains caused by a sticky film like metal or sand, they have to be vacuumed before you can get to work to remove them.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Cathedral City, Indio, Riverside & Coachella Valley, California
If you have spots or stains on your carpet that you are having a difficult time removing on your own, you can call on Palm Springs Carpet Cleaning to remove them for you. There are no stains too difficult for our team to remove. Call us today!